A Bit of History...
The date was March 13, 1956. The Suffolk County Board of the Ancient Order of Hibernians held a very special meeting that day at the VFW Hall on Edwards Street in Patchogue, NY. The purpose of the meeting? To organize and install officers of a brand new AOH division. The Ancient Order of Hibernians, Saint Patrick Division 5, Patchogue, NY was born. Fifteen charter members were initiated on this day.
In March of 1962 and again in March of 1963, the Suffolk County Board sponsored a St. Patrick's Day Parade in Patchogue, NY. Division 5 was honored to be the host division for these events. The parades were the largest St. Patrick's Day parades ever held in Patchogue at the time and brought publicity and honors to our organization.
Today, we are now known as Mary & Joseph Thompson, Division 5, having been renamed in remembrance of the Thompson's who were instrumental in our division's formation. We are heavily involved in charitable work, supporting our community by collecting food for local food pantries and raising money for many organizations including our local parishes. We are proud to march under the Division 5 banner at St. Patrick's Day parades in both Patchogue and Center Moriches.